As from 1 March 2021, it is mandatory for all individuals who employ domestic workers to register for COIDA. COIDA, or otherwise known as workmen’s compensation, refers to cover in case an employee is injured whilst on duty. Click on the link below to download a copy of the Government Gazette where this is announced.

Registration and coida returns

Firstly, all employers of domestic workers need to register with the department of labour. After a registration number is received, a return must be submitted. On the return, the annual salary of the domestic worker needs to be declared, and a premium will be calculated according to the information provided. The premium then needs to be paid by the employer.

Contact us for more information and to assist with the registration process and submission of returns.

coida domestic worker

Andre van Niekerk

I am a registered tax practitioner with more than 10 years' experience with tax and accounting.  Thank you for reading my content, I hope you find it helpful.  Be sure to contact me with your tax related questions.