The filing season for the 2022 income tax returns starts on 1 July 2022. This tax return covers the period from 1 March 2021 to 28 February 2022.
What documents are required for your tax return?
- Copy of IRP5
- Copy of medical aid IT3
- Copy of retirement annuity fund contribution certificate
- Certificate of all medical expenses not paid by the medical aid.
- Copy of pension fund contributions certificate
- Directive for any lump sumps receives from pension funds etc
- IT3 certificate of all local and foreign interest received
- IT3 certificate of all local and foreign dividends received
- IT3 certificate of tax free investments
Important to note
If you want to claim medical aid contributions where you are not the main member, SARS will require bank statements that shows the monthly debit order is deducted from your bank account.
If you have properties which you rent out, the following information is needed:
- Copies of all invoices for rental income
- Invoices for repairs and maintenance done
- Certificate from the financial institution for the interest paid for the year, if there is a bond on the property.
- Invoices of all levies paid to bodies corporate.
The following information is needed when expenses against a travel allowance is to be claimed:
- Make and model of vehicle
- Purchase price of vehicle
- Purchase date of vehicle
- Registration number of vehicle
- Log book
The log book should contain the following information for every trip made:
- The date
- The opening and closing kilometers per trip
- The destination
- The purpose of the trip.
Home office expenses
The following information should be provided to claim home office expenses:
- A letter from your employer stating that you have to work from home.
- The total size of the property, as well as the size of the work space. This will be used to determine the allowable expenses proportionally.
- All cellphone/ telephone invoices
- All electricity invoices
- Invoices for stationery/ printing expenses
- Invoices of assets bought for business purposes
- Invoices for repairs and maintenance done to the work space.
- Invoices for the monthly rent.
Import to remember
In order to claim expenses against a home office, at least 50% and more of your duties must be performed at home. In some cases, SARS may ask for the house plans for your property, showing the work area. They may also request a photo of your work space in certain cases. Click here fore more information regarding home office expenses.
- Cost price of asset
- Cost at which the asset was sold
- Indication of whether it’s a primary residence or not.
- In the case of a property, a list of alterations that was done of a capital nature.
Click the link below to see the personal income tax rates for the financial year ending 28 February 2022.